10 WEDDING MISTAKES
#9 Lack of Personality, Creativity, Fun
he whole day is about you and your fiance – so make it that way!
Sparkling lights, tulle, ribbon, bubbles, champagne – all of these things are lovely and can make a very nice wedding, but what makes a truly memorable wedding is one that displays the personalities of the bride and groom and allow room to have fun! You would not want your reception to be bland or boring! Here are several ways you can creatively add your personal character to your wedding.
- Themed weddings/receptions – you’ve probably heard of themed birthday parties, pirates, Barbie, Veggie Tales, space. However, have you ever considered a themed wedding and/or reception? Some ideas others have used range from western to candy land! Not into the extreme themes? Try something a little more “classic” like a beachside theme or a masquerade.
- Fun Songs – Those typical wedding songs are romantic and create some very special moments. However, it is great to mix it up a bit. Throw some fun songs in too, even if they are not “wedding related” everyone will enjoy a good beat to dance (and laugh) to!
- Cake – Most brides want their wedding cake to be the perfect, beautiful cake of their dreams, but the groom is not usually so picky. A comedic groom’s cake certainly adds some lighthearted laughs to the party. We’ve seen cakes in the shape of everything from footballs and top hats to roadkill and cans of beer!
- Entrance plans – Traditionally, the bride, walks down an aisle from the back between two separate rows of seats. However, have you considered doing anything different? If it is fitting to your personality try some of these ideas: outdoor weddings: enter on a horse, carriage, motorcycle; indoor weddings: be carried in on a chair, or have your chairs in a spiral and walk the spiral up to the front.
- Invitations and favors – Particularly with themed weddings try being creative with your invitations, get something that shows your personality. Get a silly photo of yourselves to go with your party favors, or have a photo booth for your guests as their favor. Have “costumes” for the guests to wear in their photos.
- Memories – Create a slideshow of the two of you growing up. It is memorable and entertaining during those “down” moments.
- Be Creative – think back through the funny and memorable moments you’ve shared, popped tires on the side of the road, walking through the rain, late night talks, your engagement, reinventing these moments for your guests to share with you is fun and memorable.
Whatever you do for your wedding and reception, whether you add a little personality or a LOT – have fun and remember that this day is about your commitment to the one you love!
Author – Becky Bourland, Lead Fairy Godmother at Fairy Godmother Weddings, an Upstate South Carolina wedding company serving the bride and grooms of Greenville – Spartanburg – Greer and more.